Sunday, 9 August 2009

Sunday Setlist - August 9th 2009

HT: Sunday Setlists at Fred McKinnon's blog

Well it's been a while since I've been singing in church, and more weirdly, it's the first time being 'up front' not singing in Zulu! Hee hee.

Because of the school holidays (and people and students being on holiday too) we've been having smaller services at our 'old building'. The bands have been really stripped down, and tonight there was just Dan leading vocals and acoustic guitar, Jack on keys and me doing the backing vox!

Dan lead really ably and with so few of us, it only took us an hour to go through all the songs at our practice before the service. Where we discovered, actually, neither of us know the words to Majesty as much as we thought we did. I think on my part it's because I'm distracted by thoughts of torturing the person that wrong that song because it goes from pretty low to insanely high.

All in Christian love of course. ;)

In the middle(ish) of our firstset we also had the Saltmine Theatre Company who are in Edinburgh for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. They did an excerpt from one of the shows they are performing 'In The Beginning' - taking some of the stories from Genesis. They were pretty funny so you might want to check them out.

Anyway, here's our setlist for this Sunday

Everlasting God - Brenton Brown
How Great is Our God - Chris Tomlin
Majesty (chorus only)

God of Wonders - Marc Byrd/Steve Hindalong


SERMON

Majesty - Martin Smith
Lord you have my heart - Martin Smith
How deep the Father's Love - Stuart Townend
Hosanna - Brooke Fraser


I love singing in our 'old building' because the acoustics are amazing and you can actually hear everyone's singing just lifting up the place. It sounds awesome and love to think the angels are joining in with us in heaven.

An added bonus was just at the end, I noticed an old friend giving me a wave. Just before I went away to South Africa, a girl who I knew when she was 'one of the youth' at my church in Aberdeen started coming to MBC (unbelievably she's now graduated uni, I feel old!) and tonight another old friend from that church and my uni halls who became a Christian a month after me, was there (and waving). Why? Because she now lives in Edinburgh - she moved here last weekend! It's lovely to have familiar faces in MBC.

4 comments:

  1. Good list. A room with excellent acoustics really makes a difference, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old-world acoustics and Martin Smith songs. Beautiful.

    "Majesty, Majesty, Your grace has found me just as I am..."

    Hosanna would be awesome in that space too.

    I'll sit here imagining for a minute...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for putting this up, and well sung tonight- it was truly a blessing to worship with you. And, what's more, God showed up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Windbag - Totally! It means you feel like you're all singing together to - takes away that separation of band from congregation that can often happen I think.

    @David - Luckily Dan transposed so it did sound good rather than like wailing cats. I often wonder when we sing certain highly pitched songs that dogs from all over the city will start bounding into the building sometimes.

    @ Dan - Right back at ya! Great song choices too. And thankfully God didn't set us on fire in the literal spontaneous combusting type way....phew!!

    ReplyDelete