The start of last week began with some challenges (our heating broke in our house, then later that day the internet phone line broke at my work...). I always joke that there's a 'Powerpoint curse' upon me, and that usually the worse my week is, it is a certain being trying to put me in a stressed out bad mood and make me not want to praise and worship God.
I had my new earphones (purple in case you are interested) and my new iPod meant that I was able to get myself into a place of worship and preparedness to worship more easily.
I don't know how but our band was just ready. And we asked God to bring it, and He did.
It was an incredible night.
My new earphones amazingly stayed IN my ears (had to push them back in a couple of times, but no tangling in my hair for once - Hallelujah). Only problem I had accidentally turned the balance so I only got sound in my right ear - resulting in some mild tinnitis by the end of our first set.
A number of young people decided to make commitments to follow God. Others asked for prayer for other things. After our set was done, I jumped off the stage so I'd be available to pray for young people who wanted prayer.
We went back on for the second half, and once we were on stage I suddenly realised that nothing was coming through my in-ear monitors. We were doing a lot of fast paced songs and the teens were jumping, dancing and singing pretty loudly. My new earphones drowned out the sound of the room so I was singing with no clue of what was coming out my mouth tune wise. All I could do was take out my earphones, somehow managed to fling them around my neck out of the way and just hoped I'd be able to hear enough from the main speakers to know if I was wildly out of tune or not.
(We later discovered that it was because the monitor had no audio coming through - I don't know why, but it might have been because of my mistake with the balance in the first set - doh!)
It's not the first time I've not been able to hear my monitor. What is funny is that I only seem to get lots of 'Thank you, you guys led really well tonight' or 'Your singing was really great' etc when I haven't been able to hear myself.
I used to wonder if in fact I was singing really badly and people felt sorry for me so they were trying to encourage me.
Now I wonder if maybe it's because when that happens, I just have to surrender it all to God. I can't rely on myself so I just have to belt it out and pray that the sound coming from my vocals is a tuneful noise and not a distraction (or that the sound guys can do wonderful magic on the desk!).
I'm thankful for our techy dudes. They don't get the credit and I doubt get the thanks that us folks in the band get. They are a vital part of our team, and we be lost without them! They're also super patient with me and my technical ineptness. (I'm sorry guys!)
It was an amazing night, God did amazing things and I'm just thankful that I got to be a part of it. I don't know if I'll be singing at Powerpoint in 2012/13 (that's our band done for this year) and I know I'll miss it. If that's it for our band, I'm glad that we went out on a high. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment