I love hearing people's stories. I love hearing how God has speaks to people in different ways - basically the same messages time and time again, but he's rarely unoriginal about the way He goes about it. Our God is a creative creator!
I got to sing at a baptism service tonight at the church I'm a member of, and it was a terrific celebration. Even as we were 'practicing' some people who's friends/relatives were being baptised came in early and were dancing and singing with us. Sometimes a practice can feel like just going through the motions, but tonight it felt so worshipful, and I think the presence of other people coming in and just joining in pretty much straightaway was part of what made it so.
The songs we sang were:
How Great Thou Art - Stuart Kine
How Great is Our God - Chris Tomlin
Almighty One - Neil Costley
Amazing Grace (My chains are gone) - John Newton/Chris Tomlin
Thank You for Saving Me - Martin Smith
Lord, You Have My Heart - Martin Smith
You Never Let Go - Matt Redman
Dancing Generation - Matt Redman
A friend of mine was also at the baptism service tonight, and he's written a little bit about it as well, and talked about You Never Let Go. I really relate to this song. It's one of the few I can sing at all times in my life honestly, and so relevant for tonight's sermon about the Prodigal Sons returning; the heart of our God, our Father in Heaven; and for the 4 people who shared their stories of coming back to God after facing real tough times in their lives.
Martin Smith has some good songs that I don't sing much anymore - thanks for the reminder!
ReplyDeleteWe have a baptism service this coming Sunday, I'm glancing through your list for ideas.
:)