Monday, 4 May 2009

All-age worship & Jesus is my best friend

Something that I love doing is all-age worship. In my last church we had a family service where kids and adults remained together once every 1-2 months. We also had a rule that we had at least one 'kid friendly' worship song (often we had actions) every Sunday morning. 

I loved it, because everyone joined in. I still remember the day we learned 'Our God is big not small' and Kath (one of the oldest members of our congregation) was brought up front by the worship leader to show everyone how it was done including the 'mid air star jump' for the line He is amazing!' Kath rocks. She's been faithfully serving at Imagine for years and rather than complain that the music is too loud, she sees how the young people love it, and brings her earplugs so she can join in. You'll often find her at the back of the room singing and dancing for the Lord. Sometimes with her flag poi. 

Currently I only sing in evening services (not often anyone under 12 there). I was going to be leading at family services last year, but the circumstances at the time meant that I couldn't. The service was at 9.30 a.m. (with an 8 a.m. practice) and I lived in a inner city flat with no double glazing. Saturday nights were pretty insomnia filled as a result...so I struggled to make the 11.15 service. I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome a few years ago, so have to be very careful to get enough sleep. 

I would love to do more all-age worship though. There's a place for all separating to get teaching etc. that's relevant to our life stage, but I think it's so important to be worshipping TOGETHER as a church family.

On that note, I discovered this song Vicky Beeching has written. I love this song, and would love the opportunity to use it (and other songs) in some all-age worship.





You can find chords on Vicky's blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment