Sunday, 3 May 2009

Sunday Setlist - May 3rd 2009


So another Sunday evening. I think I wrote on Fred Mckinnon's blog that after last week I was going to have a few weeks off, and a day later I got an e-mail from Mr Costley with this week's Sunday setlist.

Tonight was pretty quiet as one of the folks on the leadership team got married this afternoon, so lots of people were celebrating with the happy couple. Plus, a lot of the high schoolers have their exams (Standard Grades & Higher Stills) starting in the next week or so, and the university students also have finals and course deadlines.

We were a scaled back band tonight - one keyboard/synth player, lead vocalist & acoustic guitarist, backing vocalist (me!), drummer, bass guitarist.

Here's our setlist:

Praise to the Lord the Almighty - Joachim Neander/Catherine Winkworth
Your Grace Is Enough (Great is Your faithfulness) - Chris Tomlin & Matt Maher
Hallelujah (Your love is amazing) - Brenton Brown & Brian Doerksen
Hosanna (Let the weak say I am strong) - Reuben Morgan
See His Love - Tom Lockley
Jesus, all for Jesus - Robin Mark
The Lord's My Shepherd (Psalm 23) - arr. Stuart Townend

Jesus, all for Jesus was a spontaneous addition during communion which replaced a different song that we had on our original setlist. It seemed to be just right for the moment. It's great that 

1. The person leading worship was open and flexible to respond to what God was doing and didn't just 'go with what was planned' when God wanted to do something different.
2. That folks in the band do memorise many songs off by heart so we can be more flexible like that as we didn't have music or words
3. That the DTP person was 'on the ball' and quickly found the song on EasyWorship and so we had the words on the screen (Thank you)

One of my favourite things about the synth is that it adds atmosphere, as well as enabling some a cappella-style worship or just scaling things back with what I call 'Holy Spirit pads'. It also seems to just help with the flow if we stop to let one of the pastors speak or pray during the 'singing part' without it being like a start/stop all the time to help people focus on God.

You might disagree though. :-)


4 comments:

  1. I do love synths and their ability to add atmosphere to a worship set- very cool! :)

    Great set list-
    I love EasyWorship tis great!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice setlist! I agree with the freedom that memorizing gives you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowing in God's love... I find it wonderfully spiritual to let God lead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list. I agree that flexibility is a huge plus in a worship setting.

    ReplyDelete