Sunday, 31 May 2009

Sunday Setlist - May 31st 2009


So this weekend has been 'a scorcher' here in Edinburgh, and I think across the UK. So I had 2 issues when I woke up for music practice this morning.

1. I woke up with a blocked up nose/cough (suspected to be pollen-related)
2. What do I wear? 

The second question is not an issue in winter, but it is on those rare summery days in Scotland, especially when the Braid seems to have no heating all winter, but the heating on all summer. So how to women dress appropriately without fainting of heat exhaustion? Such was my dilemma this morning realising that I needed to do laundry and just had a stack of winter tops and a stack of vest tops (which I deem inappropriate). Thankfully I managed to locate a white To Write Love On Her Arms t-shirt. Phew!

Today I was singing at the morning service....ooooooh! I was only a little late for the practice too (I accidentally drove to work instead of church...I'm not very good in the mornings and I have tendency to go on 'autopilot').

Because of Pentecost we did a lot of prayer, interceding for our church, our nation and other countries in the world. We also looked at the importance of the Holy Spirit and the Church.

Here's our setlist

Everlasting God - Brenton Brown and Ken Riley
The Stand - Joel Houston
King of Kings, Majesty - Jarrod Cooper
Give us your courage - Tim Hughes
Consuming Fire - Tim Hughes
The Heart of Worship - Matt Redman
How Great is our God - Chris Tomlin

Consuming Fire featured a lot as we learned what some of the children had been learning about the Holy Spirit at their weekend away last week, and also as we invited for people to be filled with the Holy Spirit. 

I felt like today went really well, we had a really lovely bunch in the band (I was the only girl again though...seriously, where are all the female musicians?) and Bobby very competently lead us and was well prepared despite being somewhat choked up with a cold. 

I was praying during the ministry time (to myself) as our Senior Pastor shared a prophetic word for the church, and just felt that there is some kind of barrier where people are afriad of the Holy Spirit, that people wanted to be filled, to hear from God, to be empowered by the Holy Spirit but yet held back because of that fear.

Maybe that was just me. 

I don't know. But I long for the Holy Spirit to sweep through in a time where we meet, pray and sing praises together like I've seen before in other places, but have yet to see in Edinburgh.

God, bring it on! Come shake this city up, and bring us together as ONE church...

7 comments:

  1. Did I just say I was praying 'to myself'.

    Apparently so. That's not what I meant, I was praying to God, I think I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't like doing 'prayer minsitry' (ie I wasn't on the prayer ministry team!)

    Oh dear...I am a sleepy chica!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the autopilot thing. I miss turns all the time, zoned out. It's a wonder I make it anywhere on time or safely. I've noticed a marked de-emphasis on the Holy Spirit in the past few years, which is quite odd for a charismatic fellowship. I agree with your prayer for God to bring it on. The sooner the better, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bring it on indeed!! The whole triune God and His whole word needs to be brought back to front and centre and top spot in our worship!

    So tell me...my wife is from Northern Ireland and a scorcher there is about the same as a nice mid-winter's day in Sydney. How about Edinburgh? (Never been there in summer)

    And I'm very aware that even on comparatively cool days to my senses, the buildings over there just aren't built to cope with anything close to warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @worship-plus - Edinburgh summer equals a Sydney winter yep. Although at the moment it's about a Sydney Autumn (at least about the same as a Sydney Autumn I experienced 2 years ago). When I walked home from work at 6.30/7 p.m. to my car earlier it was about 25 degrees celsius?

    Basically a heatwave in Scotland is anything 19 C or higher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what I thought :)

    (and I've no idea why my openID has gone loopy in how it displays and links...it should say "David" and link to my blog...but I see you've found me anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I tried but the link that's coming up goes to nothing...unless you're the same David who commented on Tam's blog at 'inProgress' ??

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's me :)

    And since you've been commenting on my blog (and I've now found both of your blogs), I think we're all good now...technology huh!

    ReplyDelete