The group? Christian music topping the UK Charts
I'd seen it in my main news feed for a while. Every time it made me sigh inside. Because I love worshipping God through music. And yes, of course, I've downloaded off iTunes or bought CDs of live recordings from worship gatherings to practice harmonies and to sing along in worship to in my car or wherever!
I think there is a difference (with a few exceptions) between music written for corporate worship and music that we like to listen to. I've yet to find 'Christian' music that I think is good music. Though I know many Christians who do make good music, my friend Dan Glover being an excellent example, The Fray being another, and when you listen to the lyrics, their faith and beliefs do come through.
My first thought therefore was that I'd rather buy music because I think it is good, rather than JUST because it's Christian for it to get into the UK music charts.
And a 'trumpet call' to 'make history'?
Now, I'm sure that the people who created this fan page have very good intentions. And I want to know a few details before I sign up to this 'trumpet call to make history'...exactly what history am I helping to make here? what charity are the proceeds going to? Why choose a band that no longer exists when virtually no one outside of the western Christian world is likely to have heard of them? Did you even contact them to see if they are on board with this, because surely their management would be the ones to make sure the profits did in fact go to charity?
I'm sorry, but I feel that a life of worship is about rallying together to reach out to the poor, the needy, the broken hearted. To see equal access to healthcare for everyone in this world? To see peace in this world? For everyone in the world to see the Church in action in a way Jesus Christ intended for us to act?
And to be honest, I think that I'd rather buy a Big Issue to help a guy who is trying to earn a living to start a new life for his family (or just for himself if he has no family) than download a song just so Christian music gets into the charts (even if some of the proceeds are going to 'charity')
Maybe not everyone in the world will see that I've done something small to help someone perhaps less fortunate than myself. But that doesn't matter, that person knows, I know, and most importantly God knows.
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "
Matthew 25:35-40 (New International Version)
And I'd honestly like to know: what do other people think about this?

Yea definitely agree with you. If I'm not sure if something is being done out of pride and to boast about numbers, I'd rather just not get involved. There is plenty of really obviously good places to donate money/time/resources - they're not difficult to find - so I don't think anyone should feel guilty for not giving to one particular thing. We are each accountable to God, and he knows as we do, the sum of our efforts.
ReplyDelete